Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Kicked off... and let down

Setbacks...

I've been delaying this post, but it's time to write about it. I was kicked off the archeological dig a few weeks ago.

No, I didn't break any priceless vases or pottery, but because I didn't have the proper security clearances. I had been working there for about two weeks, and every time I came back, everyone seemed to welcome me back eagerly.

I had been working at the Roman ruins with another team. They were driving down from Amman. But when most of them left, I asked a few of the Jordanian workers (from the Department of Antiquities) if I could ride down with them. One person in particular, did not want to take me, but finally relented.

At the end of that day, he informed me that I cannot come back because I hadn't gotten a security check (that is required for all foreigners, though none for Jordanians).

This was the first I had heard about it, and it was a major let down!!!! I tried to argue and ask if there was any other way I could get the form (this had been the first day I even heard that I needed a security clearance. Most assumed I didn't need one because I worked in Amman).

At this point, another team member stepped in and said, that regardless of the outcome, I was not welcome back at the dig site this year. (I hadn't had many interactions with this team member, but I was left with the impression that he was supremely arrogant and full of himself). He did assure me, that if I could come back next year, I would be welcome as long as I had the proper security clarences.

And what of the process? Well its typical Jordanian government obstacles. You need to get a piece of paper signed by about 10 different people, just to say you can work at the site. Even the simplest processes... like picking up a postal package, requires about 7 different signatures. I really wish I were joking, but I'm not.

Job Applications

Since I'll be in Thailand in March, and outside of email and cellphone capabilities, I needed to find a job sooner than later. I had applied at a school, and it seemed so promising (they wanted to bring me in to see the campus), but I just heard they offered the position to a former staff member. The email was gracious, but yeah, its a little disappointing. I would have loved to go in and interview. It seemed like a great fit for both of us. But I'm sure God knows what He's doing in all of this.

So now I'm in Armageddon mode for application postings. I need to get some nibbles before mid-march. I'm a little worried, but He's in control. So, that's all for now.

Take care,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment