Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Conclusion of Thailand and an Adventure

Much Apologies! It has been far too long!

Now four months shouldn't seem like such a discrepancy, yet we all know how 4 months is in the technological world - a lifetime!

I spent 3 months in Thailand working at a Bamboo School. Once I get a little better connection, I'll add some photos (mind you, not many due to the fact my expensive DSLR camera was stolen).

But it was an adventure... though not all adventures are necessarily fun. Summarizing 3 months in one post is a bit difficult but I'll try to be concise.

What I liked:

- working with students
- teaching a little
- living the missionary life-style (jungle style)
- living without Air conditioner, modern conveniences, etc.
- striving in difficulties
- learning about the faith of others
- being "called up" onto the "mountain" to spend time with God. That was incredible!

What I didn't like:

- items of mine were stolen by the orphan-students (iphone, which was returned, chocolates, and my camera which wasn't returned).
- the camp was difficult, and I didn't enjoy this certain type of discipline employed there
- spiritually it was more rough than being in Jordan.
- the teacher's who have gone before me set such a bad example (sex with students, alcohol, etc... it just wasn't good).
- not being able to work out in a gym, and the lack of protein

What I learned:

- how to safely wield a machette (haha, sliced my finger open).
- I could still find a way to send messages to my mother and friends from back home.
- how to depend fully upon God, and what I needed still to work on in my life.

Will I go back?

No. Not likely. Unless God sent me and my future wife there... but I'm a huge fan of living in Thailand or in Asia currently at this stage in my life. I'm looking forward to teaching in Egypt next year. But I will continue to pray for the Bamboo School.

I told you I could be brief, but that really in essence sums up my experiences. Many stories, but some too painful to tell. I didn't laugh much, but I worked hard, kept myself buried in God's word, yet this was no escape from chaos, ha.

Next post will be my summary of my year in whole and in review.

Peace and Blessings,
Grg

No comments:

Post a Comment